Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Lets Get Started

Welcome to Actively Nerdy. I’m Ren and I’ll be your tour guide through the recesses of my mind and interests.  For those of you who do not like political or feminist views mixed into your light reading, this is your chance to turn back. The same is true if you do not appreciate philosophical musings over movies, video games, comics, manga, graphic novels, books, and television shows. Otherwise, we should have a good time.

A little background, just for everyone to know just what they’re getting into. I’m a recent graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University, and I majored in Politics and Government. My specialties were in the judicial system and I was particularly gifted at deciphering legal documents. Other notable traits are my D&D skills, love of Japanese RPGs, encyclopedic knowledge of characters in the Law and Order franchise, specialized experience in costuming techniques, love of Victorian and Renaissance fashions, and proficiency in medieval weaponry.  That last one is not an exaggeration. I was president of the campus’s medieval combat group and was active all four years of my tenure.  Oh, and my intense love and devotion for all things squirrel.  
My mind bounces around a lot, but here’s what to expect at the very least as repeat topics:

  • ·         The [BLANK]s That Made Me     A look into the media that changed how I looked at the world from a young age,  and re-experiencing it now as a young adult to see if it aged well.  I’ll try to go chronologically, but sometimes that just doesn’t work out.
  • ·         Plain English, Please?    If something important politically comes up, I know a lot of people don’t exactly know how to understand legalese. So I’ll translate. I’ll try and stay as unbiased as possible, while explaining the real world effects.
  • ·         Political Player                 Political issues in modern gaming. Hopefully giving a perspective of the industry from someone caught in the middle of her love of games and politics.  Neither system is perfect, and there are so many ways to improve both.
  • ·         Reviews               Entertainment may not always be influential, but still worth talking about. I don’t do rating scales, but I can recommend things.
  • ·         Random Fiction                                I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons since high school. Sometimes the characters don’t want to leave their stories just at the table. The same goes for if I've been absorbed into the world of a book or game.  These may be a bit more sporadic, but it could be fun.

Of course, there will be other things I’ll write about, but these topics are sure to come up a lot. But I do have some surprises in the works that I hope you’ll all like.

It may take me a while to get into the best schedule, but expect posts on Wednesdays. I appreciate all feedback or recommendations for things to watch, read, or play. It may take me a while, but I’ll try to get to them all! Please feel free to leave comments, but I will not tolerate hatred or bile here. It should be a safe, open environment for everyone.

So if you’re still with me, welcome. Welcome to my mind, my passions, and my life. Things are going to get hectic in these next few months, and I’m never sure what is going to happen next. Life after college changes so fast. But I’m always willing to share.


This is Actively Nerdy. Let’s get active. 

No comments:

Post a Comment